If any one of you got a chance to participate in the GSB temple Samaradhana in and around Mangalore – you will get to know the unique taste of this droolicious“Saru” and its heavenly combination with raw rice. This is so mouth watering when it is prepared in the temple feast and hence it is prepared in huge quantities. Amchi kodiyal says, this is the king of all sarus. It is also compulsorily prepared in the houses for the festival feasts like “ Chavthi”, Ananthachathurdhashi Vratha etc and is also prepared in the normal days too. Here I give the authentic basic recipe. But many experienced chefs has done many innovations to this Saru and that too I will mention for your information (refer note). So here is the Amchi Kodialcho Parmalie sarache recipe.
- Coconut gratings …..1 tbsp
- Coriander seeds …..4 tsp
- Cumin seeds……..1 tsp
- Methi seeds……… ¼ tsp
- Red chillies…………4 to 5
- Tamarind…….small gooseberry size.
- Hing……..a chick pea size
- Jaggery…….. small gooseberry size
- Tomato……..1 big
- Green Chillies….., 2
- Coriander leaves – a small bunch.
- Coconut oil……..3 tsp (for roasting and seasoning)
- Mustard seeds………….1½ tsp
- Curry leaves…….few
- Salt to taste.
- The above mentioned ingredients are for 1 litre Saru.
- Chop tomato, coriander leaves and slit green chillies. Keep aside
- Dissolve Hing in little water. Keep aside.
- Roast coconut gratings, coriander seeds, cumin seeds, methi seeds and red chillies separately one by one using little oil. Keep aside for cooling.
- Grind all roasted items with tamarind to a fine paste using water.
- Boil this Masala adding 1 litre water.
- Add jaggery, chopped tomato, slit green chillies, and salt.
- Cook it in low flame till the tomato become soft and mushy.
- Add chopped coriander leaves.
- Season with mustard seeds and curry leaves.
- Saru is ready to serve with hot rice.
- In temples they do not add Hing for “Naivaidya” Saru
- But they add hing water before serving saru for Samaradhana.
- Now a days it is seen in some temples on enquiry that coconut gratings are not used.
- And also that Tomato puree is used instead of adding chopped tomato.
- It is seen in some homes that, Haldi is used instead of methi seeds
- At home you can roast hing adding oil and can grind with other masala ingredients.