Kokum being a native of the western ghats is very much used in Mangalorean GSB cooking ..It imparts a tangy flavour and also can be used for colouring too .Besides being packed with numerous health benefits ..it can be used to make Sherbaths , Kadis & Saarus ..Here is one such saaru recipe that my mother had dictated to me !
- Dried Kokum – 8 pieces
- Water – 3 cups
- Jaggery grated – 1 tbsp or more as per taste
- Salt as per taste
- Coconut grated – 3 tbsps
- Green chillies – 4 or as per taste
- Coriander seeds -1 tbsp
- Jeera – 1/2 tbsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves -10
- Coriander leaves – Chopped – 1 tbsp
- Boil together the kokum pieces , water , salt & jaggery.
- Grind together the Coconut , green chillies . Coriander seeds and jeera into a smooth paste adding enough water.
- Add this paste to the boiling water, stir, boil for some 2-3 minutes and switch off the gas.
- Give a tempering of oil, mustard and curry leaves. Garnish with chopped coriander leaves.
- Keep it covered for 15 minutes before using so that the flavour of curry leaves and chopped coriander leaves get well incorporated .
This is a very old recipe with a tangy, sweet and hot flavour. Here is a picture of kokum, dried ones.