Satta phovu is the most essential part of Diwali celebrations for the GSBs of Kochi side ! This is also made and distributed among relations when there is a cradle ceremony in the family ..Also for engagements & marriages !
So lets see how to do this !I have used red phovu here as the taste is more !
- Thin Rice Flakes ( poha / phovu) – 2 cups ( can be white or red )
- Jaggery grated – 1 cup
- Grated coconut – 2 cups
- Til ( sesame seeds – 1 tbsp
- Moong dal – 1 tbsp
- Chana dal – 1 tbsp
- Cardamom – 3 -4
- Ghee – 1tbsp
- Sugar – 1 -2 tsp for garnish
- Roast each of the til , moong dal , chana dal separately to a golden brown .
- Mix the jaggery & 1/2 cup of grated coconut to make a mixture – churna .Keep aside .
- Now mix the poha & rest of the grated coconut well in a wide mouthed vessel , pressing with the palm of your hand . Usually the men in the house do this as it needs strong hands to soften the flakes . You may also sprinkle a little of coconut water to quicken the softening .
- Now mix the churna , the roasted items , cardamom powdered & the ghee to the softened poha . Mix well again .
- Now sprinkle the sugar on top .Cover and keep for some time before serving !
Serve this sweet phovu with Udida Khann as breakfast along with sweets & savouries !
This can also be made by making a jaggery syrup of one string consistency and then adding all the other ingredients . This way increases its shelf life . Hence this method is used while making the phovu for engagements & cradle ceremonies !
One reply to “Satta Phovu”