Nanchenya Vodi Usli is a breakfast dish. These ragi vodis are available only in and around Mangalore, especially at Puttur. These special vodis are used only to do this dish as seen in the pic below . We can’t use the ones which are made for deep frying. This is a very healthy dish which be eaten even on upavas days.
- 3 cups of sun dried ragi vodis.
- 1/2 cup of water,
- 1 tsp mustard seeds
- 1 tsp of udid dal
- 1 tbsp of oil, preferably coconut oil.
- 5-6 slit green chillies
- 2 sprigs of curry leaves.
- salt to taste and sugar(optional)
- 3 tbsp s of coconut gratings
- Heat oil in a thick bottomed kadayi, add mustard and udid dal.
- When they splutter, add curry leaves and green chillies. Saute for a while.
- Now add the washed vodis in it, mix well, add water, and cover.
- Cook till soft stirring in between and sprinkling water if needed.
- Add salt and sugar(very little, optional).
- Lastly add coconut gratings and mix well. Take care that the vodis do not stick together.
- Some people soak them for 1/2 an hour before doing this.
- If you do so,you need not add water while cooking. Just sprinkle some, that too if you need.
- Tastes best when eaten hot.