Here is a very traditional snack. which made best use of all the bikkands / jack fuit seeds that were found in plenty during season ! So dont throw away anymore but make these frys which will be a hit with Kids & elders equally. So here is the recipe !
- Jack fruit seeds – Outer white skin removed and the brown one as much as possible .( you may even retain the brown one ) and halved .
- Chilli powder – as per your spice level .
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp.
- Salt as per taste .
- Oil for deep frying .
- Clean the seeds and halve or even quarter them .
- In a pressure cooker – add the seeds , Chilli & turmeric powders & the salt .
- Add water to just cover the seeds .
- Pressure cook till they are just done (for about 1 whistle ). See that they are not mushy. but like in the pic below .
- Heat to remove any excess water . you may also steam cook and then add the spices and marinate for some time .
6. Heat a kadai with oil . Drop the bikkands in it when the oil is hot .
7. Be careful while frying as the oil will turn bubbly . Stir once a while and remove when the bikkand has turned brown ( the bubbles lessening is a sign that the bikkands are done ).
Remove and let the oil drain . Transfer to an air – tight container .
Enjoy as a snack or as a side dish with rice !
- Use fresh seeds as much as possible . Removing the white skin will be easy too then . You may soak for a while in water if the seeds are too dry .
- You may store them upto a year too and use when you feel like it ! Choose good seeds with their white skins intact . Keep them in the sun to dry for some time . Then pack them in Sealed packets in the freezer .
- You may also use whole seeds without slicing them ,but crush slightly with a heavy stone or pestle and deep fry !
2 replies to “Bikkand Tallelle”
Thank u so much Ushakka for the yummy recipe…liked this very much
thank U 🙂