Pulses form an important part in our cuisine.We use many different pulses to prepare various delicacies depending upon the availability in different regions.White Navy beans or Tingalavro as we call it in Konkani is one such pulse which is very much used in South Canara.I have already shared few recipes from them like Kolmbo, Bendi and other recipes which you find in this blog.Today sharing with you all a very simple yet tasty recipe of a curry which is done during pejje javan on the auspicious Kodial teru (Mangalore Car Festival).I learnt this from my friend in Mangalore.
- 1 cup of white navy beans (tingalavro) soaked overnight.
- 1-2 potatoes cut into small pieces (originally the skin is retained ,but I peeled it)
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- 2 green chillies
- 1 – 2 red chillies
- A generous pinch of hing
- Salt to taste
- Oil for seasoning
- A tbsp of grated coconut(optional)
Pressure cook the navy beans and the potatoes for 3-4 whistles,they should be nicely cooked and mushy but should retain shape.
- Transfer this to a wide pan or vessel and add hing,green chillies ,salt and give a good boil adding water if required.
- Do not add much water as the consistency should be quite thick (dad-dhadi as we say in Konkani).
- Add coconut if using,mix well and after a boil switch off.
- Season with mustard ,curry leaves and red chillies.
A very easy and quick recipe is ready to be relished with your meals or even with