Many of you would have tasted this sweet in Kodial Mangalore and loved it . Now here is the recipe so that you can make it at home itself and get some compliments easily!!
- Raw rice – 1 cup
- Jaggery – half ball
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Cardamom pods – 3
- Beaten rice / phovu – 1/2 cup
- Tur dal – 1/4 cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Soak raw rice with the dal in water for an hour.
- Wash and grind with the grated coconut .
- When half done,add the beaten rice and grind to a fine paste.
- Now add the grated jaggery, salt and cardamom pods and grind to a smooth consistency
- Batter should have a consistency like dosa or appo batter .
- Heat oil in frying pan,drop the paste gently in to the hot oil ,one ladle full at a time
- Deep fry till they have turned golden brown and crisp.
- Remove from oil and remove excess oil from the eriappos by pressing each one between 2 spatulas.
- Store in air tight containers !
The recipe & pic is courtesy my friend –Sujatha S Shenoy