Machkat or dhoddak is a tasty breakfast dish usually prepared in our households. Its a simple and easy dish which requires no fermentation . Its a kind of thick dosa prepared or roasted in a deep bottomed iron pan or kaayili as you say in konkani . The well roasted dosa in mustard seasoning gives a distinct aroma and taste.
- Urad – 1 cup
- Rava ( Bombay rava ) – 2 & 1/2 cups
- Ginger chopped – 2 tsp
- Green chillies chopped – 3 to 4
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Oil & mustard for tempering
- Soak urad for 4 to 5 hours.
- Grind it till smooth and fluffy in a wet grinder.
- Now soak the rava in some 2 cups of water (you can use the same water used to wash the grinder) for some 10 to 15 mins.
- Mix it well with the urad batter .
- Add salt , chopped green chillies ,ginger and hing.
- Now the batter is ready to prepare the machkats.
- You require a deep bottomed pan (preferably the iron kadayi or kaayili ) for making the machkats.
- Heat the pan and pour a tsp of oil and let the mustard splutter …
- Now pour one or two ladle full of batter in the seasoning.
- Cover and cook on low flame till its roasted well.
- Flip it and let it roast on the other side too..
- Be patient enough to roast it evenly till golden.
Your machkat is ready to relish. Serve with any chutney or sambhar or any pickle.
- You can also prepare idlies or normal dosas with the same batter.
- If you are grinding in a mixi then reduce the rava to 2 cups.