In the eagerness to try new and famous recipes we sometimes tend to forget the age old traditional-simple recipes which were done by our elders. Sharing one such dosa recipe today which is not very appealing to eyes but is great on taste. This is a no ferment dosa recipe and very simple one .
- 1 cup of dosa rice
- 1 cup of red boiled rice(ukda chawal)
- 1 cup of coconut
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required
- Soak both rice together overnight.(Check Notes for details).
Next morning grind them with coconut adding water at regular intervals to a free flowing but thick batter. Need not be very fine. Remove to a bowl and add salt and water if required to adjust consistency.
Heat a tava and grease it with oil and pour the batter…spread it fast and as thin as possible.4. Drizzle oil on sides and allow it cook for a minute so that the base is nicely roasted and flipNotes:-
- The ukda rice should be soaked for longer time and that is why its soaked overnight, but you can also soak it at noon or early morning and grind it at night and refrigerate the batter, so that it can be used in the morning.
- The batter should not be too fine.
- As the ukda rice takes longer time to break and made a paste ,add water at regular intervals while grinding as and when required.
- As the batter is of rice ,it should be spread quickly or it will just stick to the tava.
- I prefer making such traditional dosas on Cast Iron tava, you can also use non stick tava .
- Both the rice should be in equal proportion.