Today keeping all the good factors in mind I tried this dosa by grinding the whole wheat instead of using the readily available wheat flour. Even though its little time consuming to grind and make this dosa – considering the benefits – I suggest that whenever time permits all can try this old method of grinding the wheat and make soft tasty dosas . Kindly refer to the ingredients and the step by step process given below.
- 1 cup – Whole Wheat
- 1/2 cup – Raw Rice
- 1/2 cup – Whole Urad (without skin)
- 1 tsp – Methi seeds/Fenugreek
- 1-2 Green chillies
- 1-2 twigs of curry leaves.
- Salt to taste
- Oil to drizzle
- Wash and soak whole wheat, raw rice, urad along with methi all separately for 4-5 hrs.
- Grind Whole wheat first adding 1 or 2 cups of water little by little at a time till a fine paste is got. Remove it into a vessel.
- Then grind urad followed by rice to a fine paste.
- Mix all the 3 ground batter together and keep overnight for fermentation.
- In the morning before making dosas add finely chopped green chillies and curry leaves and salt, also adjust the consistency of the batter to a normal dosa batter. Add water only if necessary.
- Heat a tava and drop a ladle of batter and spread it with the back side of the ladle. Drizzle oil to the sides. Cover the dosa with a lid.
- After 2 minutes flip the dosa and cook on the other side too. Apply oil on the sides and cook till they turn a little brown. Now no need to cover with lid.
- When ready to your desired crispness serve with your favourite chutney or pickle.
Govun Vattunu Polo/Whole Wheat Dosa
- Do not add more water while grinding wheat as it tends to leave its milk and will become too watery.
- Can make thin dosas too.
Method 2: –
There is another method of making the same dosa which was shared by my friend Veena Mallya akka.Here is her recipe.
Day 1 – Soak 3 cups of whole wheat in water, in the morning. Grind it in a grinder in the evening. Then sieve it in a big bowl using lots of water until the husk comes out clean. Cover and keep it overnight.
Day 2 – Next day flour settles down , throw away the water slowly, not disturbing the wheat flour and keep it in the fridge. Grind 1/2 cup udid dal to a fine paste .Add this to the flour kept in the fridge. Mix well. Keep in the fridge again without adding salt. Use it whenever you want adding salt.
No fermentation needed . Add only enough water to udid while grinding. Settled wheat flour will be a little bit watery.
Prepare like normal dosa.
3 replies to “Govaan Polo/Whole wheat Dosa (ground method)”
I make grinding soaked wheat with coconut gratings no fermentation.this dosa with urad and rice looks very yumm will try soon thank u for this version.andvalso veena mallya akkas version.
Thanks Padmini Kamath for ur support.yes i have heard abt ur version too.
We do prepare this type of dosa but without rice and it tastes better than udid maida polo. We prepare only wheat dosa, no need to soak the wheat for long time, grind, add coconut gratings, green chillies and ginger. This dosa is with husk. Because of the husk, this dosa is very healthy, but not a favourite of many.