Posting one more simple and easy recipe today with bitter gourds.This is my mother in laws recipe and is often prepared back home.But I had never tried it myself as only limited bitter gourd dishes was liked by my family, Now as my daughter has taken a liking to all the dishes prepared from it ,I prepared it a few days back and to my relief she loved it.Here’s the recipe for all the bitter gourd lovers.
- 2 bitter gourds chopped into chunks,sprinkled salt and kept aside for around half an hour.
- 1 cup of coconut
- 5-6 roasted red chillies
- A marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Oil as required
- 10-12 garlic flakes
- Jaggery.. a tbsp or two(optional)
- Squeeze the bitter gourds to remove the extra bitterness and pressure cook it with little water for 1-2 whistles.
- Meanwhile grind coconut,red chiliies and tamarind to a smooth paste adding water.
- Once the pressure has released,transfer the cooked bitter gourds to a wide pan/vessel,along with the ground paste.
- Add water as required to attain required consistency
- Add salt and jaggery (if using) and allow it to boil for 5-10 minutes.
- Switch off the flame
- Heat oil and add crushed garlic flakes and fry to golden ,pour this over the curry and close it immediately with a lid so that the flavour and aroma is absorbed by the curry.
Serve with rice as an accompaniment.
- Don’t overcook the bitter gourds.
- Adding jaggery is optional,I have added it as I love the sweet bitter taste.
- The curry should neither be too spicy nor too mild.