Phenoris are favourite sweet almost prepared by every household of konkanis, in huge quantity. This crispy flaky sweet is coated with thick sugar syrup with the flavour of cardamom gives a glorious look, which is the traditional method. Its also coated with sugar powder. My friend Priya has updated this sweet version here
Normally phenoris are made with maida . As our mind always cautions us about the bleached flour and calorie rich sweet/pastry , I am introducing here the savoury version which is healthy version with wheat flour. Even though it is a deep fried snack – once in a while we can enjoy it to satiate our taste buds. So here is the recipe…..
- 1 cup Wheat flour
- 1 tbso Fine Rava
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp crushed pepper
- 1 tsp ajwain
- 1tsp jeera
- 1 tsp Til
- 2 tbsp Malai/milk
- 1/4 cup water
- Turmeric a pinch
- 1/4 tsp chilli powder
For the Paste:-
- 2 tbsp Rice Flour
- 2 tbsp Ghee/ Butter/OilMethod :-
- In a mixing bowl, add wheat flour,fine rava, ajwain , jeera ,til ,salt, chilli powder , turmeric and milk.
- Heat ghee/oil and add to the flour and mix well gently.
- Add water, little by little, and knead to make a stiff dough
- Cover and allow to rest for 10 minutes.
- In a small bowl combine rice flour and warm ghee/oil to make a lump free paste. Keep aside.
- Make equal lemon sized portions of the dough.
Take one portion, dust with flour and then roll it to a thin roti .
- In a similar way, roll out the other portions too.
- Place one roti on a board
- Spread the rice flour mix all over the surface of the roti very well.
- Now place another roti on top. Spread the Mix again on this new roti.
- Similarly build a layer with 4-5 rotis each one on top of the other
- Spread the Mix on top of the last roti too.
- Gently lift one end of the layers
- And start rolling tightly
- Roll the log to and fro to make a smooth circular cylindrical shape.
Cut the roll into 1/2 ” thick slices.
Dust the slice with flour, and gently roll this slice to form a thin puri of about 4″ diameter. Roll the other slices too and keep aside.
- In a thick bottomed pan, heat oil on high flame. When oil is hot, reduce the flame to medium.
- Gently drop one puri into the oil. Press it down with the laddle for about a minute.
- Flip the puri to the other side and again press it down with the laddle for a minute.
- The puri would become layered and crisp and turn to a nice golden colour.
- Remove onto a tissue paper
4 replies to “Teek Phenori with wheat flour”
awesome recipe with clear pictorial details
Wow Asha, your explanation has made it look very simple