Koddel is a coconut based gravy dish using pulse from South Kanara. I have already shared Koddel recipe using red chavli( Bagdo) here .Today sharing another version using Chavli / Alsando.Each pulse has its own taste though the basic ground paste remains same.Do try this version too.
- 1/2 cup of alsando(chavli) soaked overnight.
- 1/2 cup of diced coloured cucumber/Madras cucumber (magge)
- 4-5 red chillies roasted(I always prefer Byadgi chillies)
- A marble sized tamarind
- 1 cup of coconut
- Salt to taste
- A handful of jack fruit seeds crushed(optional)
- 10-12 garlic cloves crushed
- Tbsp of oil
- Pressure cook soaked chavli with the crushed jack fruit seeds(if using) for 2-3 whistles or till done.
- Pressure cook or cook the coloured cucumber separately.
- Grind the coconut,tamarind and red chillies to a fine paste.
- Remove the cooked ingredients to a cooking vessel and add the ground masala.
- Add water to adjust the consistency,salt and simmer for 5-8 minutes.
- Heat oil and fry the crushed garlic till golden and pour over the curry.
- The curry is ready to be had with meals as side dish or even main dish as an accompaniment to rice.
- Jack fruit seeds are optional..the curry tastes delicious without them too.
- The same recipe can be tried substituting coloured cucumber with raw jack fruit during season or chinese potatoes (kooka)