Koddel is a typical South Canara(Udupi-Mangalore) dish with lots of garlic seasoning.It is generally a combination of a pulse like horsegram(kulithu),Chavli(alsando),Bagdo(red chavli) with the coloured cucumber /Madras cucumber(Magge in Konkani) in a coconut based gravy.Though the coconut gravy is same for all the variations along with the garlic seasoning ..each pulse leaves its own distinctive taste and is a favourite among all the people in that region.We can also prepare Koddels with a single vegetable like the raw banana or bittegourds using the same method the recipe of which can be found in this blog in the Archives… Today we will learn how to prepare bagde koddel /red chavli koddel .
- 1/4 cup of red chavli/bagdo soaked overnight
- 1/2 of coloured cucumber / Madras cucumber chopped with the skin
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- 10 -12 garlic cloves crushed
- Oil as required for seasoning
- Salt to taste
- Marble sized tamarind
Pressure cook the soaked bagdo and the magge separately till done .
Grind coconut along with red chillies and tamarind to a smooth paste .
Combine the bagdo and magge in a big pan and add the ground paste /masolu to it.
- Add water as required to get the desired consistency ..and boil adding salt for 5- 8 minutes.
- Heat oil in a small pan and add the crushed garlic cloves and fry till golden .
- Pour this seasoning over the curry and close the lid until ready to be served.
- The consistency of the curry should be neither too thick nor watery.
- As magge is available all round the year,that is preferably used but kadgi/raw jackfruit or Kooka(chinese potato) can be used instead of that when available .
- Jackfruit seeds (Bikkand in Konkani) can also be pressure cooked along with bagdo and added to the curry .
- The below picture is of bagde koddel using kadgi/raw jackfruit.