Jeevkadgi means Bread fruit in English.Ghasi is a coconut based curry normally had as a side dish with rice.You can always find atleast one coconut based dishes in konkani platter.From this blog you can learn variety of gashi’s with vegetables alone or they are sometimes combined with pulses too.
- Jeevkadgi – 1 cup chopped (select matured ones)
- Coconut – 1 cup grated
- Red chillies – 6-8 roasted in oil
- Tamarind – marble size
- Urad dal – 1tsp (roasted in a tsp of oil)
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Oil- 1tbsp
- Curry leaves – 1sprig
- Salt to taste
- Select matured and firm breadfruit.Remove its skin and chop into big chunks.
- Pressure cook or cook in open vessel with water and salt till soft.
- Grind together coconut gratings,tamarind,red chillies (roasted previously) to a fine paste with little water.Before taking out the masala from the mixer jar,add the urad dal (previously roasted) and grind again for a minute.
- Now add this ground masala and salt(check for salt as it is already added while cooking the vegetable) to the cooked bread fruit/jeevkadgi and bring to a boil.
- Prepare seasoning in a pan with oil,mustard and curry leaves in it.Pour this seasoning on the boiling curry.Switch off gas and close the lid.
Serve it along with rice or as a side dish with rice.
- If you like the flavour of coriander seeds , then you can fry a tsp of coriander seeds in oil and grind along with the coconut and then proceed with recipe.
- Check for salt before adding it to the masala as the vegetable is already cooked with salt.