Malpuri is a traditional sweet of Mangaloreans. Those days they were prepared at home in large numbers and served during small functions like engagement, baby shower, cradle ceremony etc. They are like small pancakes but usually deep fried in ghee. Few people like to add food colour and baking soda to this malpuri. But when we prepare this at home we can avoid this. Instead of soda if we use sour curds the batter is well fermented and malpuris become fluffy and soft. These can be stored for a week and stays fresh. Everyone love to eat this for snack.
- Maida – 1&1/2 cups
- Sooji Rava – 1/4th cup
- Sugar – 1 cup
- Sour Butter milk – 1 cup
- Cardamom powder – 1 tsp
- Ghee-Oil for frying
- Sieve Maida twice. Mix together sugar, butter milk, rava and maida.
- Keep this batter for fermentation for 3 hours. Do not dilute the batter, It should be of the consistency of thick dosa batter.
- Before preparing the malpuris add the powdered cardamom powder and mix well.
- Heat ghee in a flat bottom deep frying pan and bring to smoking point.
- Gently pour in a ladle full of the prepared batter into the hot ghee/oil.
- Do not try to spread it with the ladle. After 2 minutes turn the malpuris and cook on other side.
- Similarly flip on both sides till you see brown colour and becomes crisp on the sides.
- Take out the malpuris. Now keep this malpuri between two spatulas and press well to remove excess ghee/oil.
- Continue frying similarly with the rest of the batter.
- Serve them when cool. You can store this in airtight container which stays fresh for a week.
- Few people like to add artificial yellow colour and Til (sesame seeds ) which is optional
- Always use sour curds for better results.
- Check for sweetness. if needed can increase the quantity of sugar .
- Using ghee for frying gives an awesome taste
- Take care while dropping the batter and removing it after frying.
- Deep frying pan with flat bottom is perfect to fry malpuris.
2 replies to “Malpuri”
Tasted very yum…thanks for the recipe Ashakka
Thanks for the try and feedback dear.Very happy that u loved it