Sukke is a dry masala curry made with coconut.Here is a wonderful sukke recipe with tori (dried pigeon pea) and kelya saalli (banana peel) combination which is prepared using a standard sukke masala.In this blog you can find sukke with various combination of vegetables. I have also added a recipe of kelya saali – here
- Dried black Tori (kali tori )- 1 cup (soaked overnight)
- Peel of Raw Banana ( only Nendran or Kerala Banana to be used ) – 1 cup chopped
- Coconut – 1 cup grated
- Coriander seeds – 2 tsp (roasted in oil)
- Urad dal – 1 tsp ( roasted in oil)
- Red chillies – 8 nos
- Tamarind – marble size
- mustard – 1 tsp
- curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Jaggery – small piece (optional)
- Oil – 1 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Soak black tori in water overnight and cook it till soft in water.
- Chop banana peel into small and thin pieces. Check Notes for the procedure .
- Roast coriander and urad dal in little oil till brown in colour
- Grind coconut,roasted red chillies,tamarind,roasted coriander and urad dal to a not so fine paste using little water.
In a pan heat oil and prepare seasoning with mustard and curry leaves in it.Drop the chopped banana peel,salt and little water.Close lid and cook till the peels are soft.(Can add the excess water used to cook the Tori).Remove lid after 5 minutes and check whether the peels are soft.
Now add the cooked tori and the ground masala.Give a good stir till the veggies and the masala is well coated.Check for salt.If necessary adjust salt as per taste.
Add little water,and a small piece of jaggery (optional) close lid and cook for 5 minutes or till the curry is dry.
Serve as a side dish with rice.
- Draw a line with a sharp knife on the outside of the skin and another one parallel to it to remove the skin
2..Continue with the same procedure to remove the entire skin from the banana.Slightly twisting the whole banana loosens the skin so that it can be removed easily
3.Now remove the green skin,it comes out very thin.when you remove it we will get another layer of skin which is light in colour.Now this is what we are going to use.