Ukadambo means mangoes preserved in jaggery syrup.This is an old traditional nearly lost konkani recipe just like murabba .Small mangoes – which we call gointa are best for this dish. This can be done when these mangoes are available in plenty and preserved for future use.This recipe has been contributed by my dear FB friend – Veena Nayak
- 15 mangoes – Gointa variety or small variety,
- 1/2 kg jaggery
- One big piece dry ginger ( SuNti)
- 10 pepper corns
- Cardamom powder – 1tsp
- Wash & clean the mangoes thoroughly . Then peel a little skin of the mangoes as shown in the pic
- Prepare jaggery syrup with a little water .To that add crushed dry ginger , pepper corns & elaichi. When the syrup starts boiling add the mangoes and cook till it becomes soft as shown in the pic below .
- Switch off the gas .For 2 days boil this mangoes for 10 minutes twice a day. The mangoes will shrink and will be completely coated with the syrup. You may relish this along with the skin and the sweet syrup. You can preserve this also for future use too !