Paanak is a drink / beverage made on the occasion of Ram Navami.All most all the temples serve this drink along with toushe mugadali pachadi on this day. Many of us prepare this at home too on this auspicious day.The paanak is also served in temples during other festivities.A very simple to make but healthy and refreshing drink which can be made anytime during summers too.
As it is Ram-Navami today I prepared both the paanak and the pachadi.Wishing all a very Happy Ram Navami. Do try this refreshing drink .
- 1 cup grated or crushed jaggery
- 5 – 6 cups of water
- A tbsp or two of pepper crushed
- A tsp of cardamom powder
- Juice of 1 big lemon or two small lemons
- Take the jaggery in a big wide bowl and add a cup of warm water to it so that the jaggery melts.You can strain this at this stage after melting.
- Once the jaggery has completely melted add remaining 5 cups of water and stir properly.
- Add cardamom powder and crushed pepper and stir again
- Squeeze in the juice of lemon too and mix properly.
- Allow the flavours to settle for a few hours ,though one can have it immediately too.
- Refrigerate for few hours before serving.
- Serve chilled.
The traditional healthy and refreshing Paanak is ready to be enjoyed
Paanak served along with pachadi
- Adjust the ingredients as per your requirement
- The paanak served in temples is spicy as they use pepper generously.
- Some also add dry ginger powder (saunth) but I love it this way..if you prefer adding but don’t have the dry powder – you may grate ginger and mix it.
- I love it a bit on the tangier side and hence I have used lemon juice generously…some avoid it completely but I recommend adding it for that zing and refreshing taste.
- Stays good for 2-3 days if refrigerated.