Masingha phool means drumstick flowers.Upkari is stir-fry.Stir- fries are healthy,quick and easy to prepare.By this time you would have gone through plenty of stir- fry recipes in this blog.Those days potatoes were available in plenty,hence to increase the quantity of the curry potatoes were substituted in most of the stir fries.
I had a big urge for the drumstick flowers.Every time I get to see them on the trees during my travel I really eyed them, as I couldn’t have them for so many years.The flavour of the upkari combined with potato was my favourite and I tasted it last during my childhood days,where we had a big tree at our house.Last month I went to my native place,It was flowering season and I found lots of packed flowers in a veggie store near my house.I felt so happy happy that I didnt miss this opportunity to grab it and prepared sannapolo (which I have shared the recipe already Here.) and this tasty upkari combined with potato.Here is the method to prepare……
- Drumstick flowers – 1 or 2 bowls
- Potato – 1 or 2 medium (adjust according to the quantity of flowers available)
- Green chillies – 2 nos ( can add red chillies as well)
- Coconut grated – 1 tbsp
- Onion – 1 medium size
- Mustard- 1tsp
- Oil – 1tbsp
- Salt to taste
Collect the flowers and remove it from the stalk.Discard the worms or insects if any.Now wash the flowers and keep them aside.
- In a kadai heat oil and splutter mustard.Now add the chopped onions,green chillies and saute till they are soft.
- Chop potatoes into small cubes and add them to this seasoning,also add the cleaned flowers,salt and 1/2 cup water for the potatoes to cook.Close lid and cook for 5 minutes or till the potatoes are soft.
- Garnish with grated coconut and serve with rice as a side dish.