Navilkosu is not a very common vegetable found in our cuisine but the Konkani community living in Karnataka uses it in various dishes as it can be widely found in that region .Though now with the culture of super markets any vegetable can be found anywhere .Navilkosu is a root vegetable belonging to the Cabbage family.It is called as gant gobhi in hindi and also as Knol kohl and Kohl rabi in English. Navilkosu has lots of health benefits as it contains numerous amount of anti oxidants,is rich in fibre and vitamins.
Amma used to prepare a few dishes with this veggie and I have been having this vegetable since childhood and knowing its health benefits I have also included it in my menu.Today sharing one such recipe of sukke using this as I love it the most and never fail to prepare it whenever I find these veggie in market.
- 3-4 tender Navilkosu
- 1 cup coconut
- 1-2 potatoes (optional)
- 4-5 red chillies roasted
- A tbsp each of Urad dal and coriander seeds roasted till golden
- Marble sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Oil – a tbsp or two
- Mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaves
- A tsp or two of grated jaggery
Peel the navilkosu lightly using a scraper and cut them into small dices.
- Chop the potatoes (if using ) also into small cubes .
- Pressure cook both together adding a pinch of salt for 2 whistles or till they are firm in shape but well cooked.
- Grind coconut,red chillies,tamarind and roasted urad dal and coriander seeds to not so fine paste adding water as required.
- Heat oil in a kadhai and add mustard seeds,when they splutter add curry leaves and the ground paste and stir well.
- Add the cooked veggies,salt to taste ,water as required and gently stir.
- Add jaggery and eep on low flame for 5-8 minutes until everything blends well.
- Switch off the gas and keep it closed till you serve.
Delicious sukke is ready to be enjoyed as a side dish
- I love adding potatoes to sukke.You can avoid if you don’t prefer adding.
- Sukke is not a spicy curry so add the chillies as per their spice level.
- Adding jaggery a wee bit enhances the taste.
- Sukke is a semi dry curry.
- The Navilkosu should be tender and fresh without any spots or blemishes and used within a day or two after purchasing.