Sannapolo is a mini spicy dosa. We Mangaloreans serve it as a side dish with lunch or with rice gruel/porridge for dinner both of which tastes great. Me and my friends have shared sannapolo recipes with various veggies in this blog.
Today I am sharing sannapolo which is prepared with brined jackfruit bulbs.In this blog refer here for the detailed steps to brine jackfruit. We have a lot of recipes using brined jackfruit , As they are seasonal fruits , proper brining helps to keep them unspoilt for nearly a year .
- Saala(brined jackfruit bulbs) -10-12 numbers
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Toor dal – 1 fistful
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 8-10 (depending on the spice level required)
- Tamarind – small marble size
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak together raw rice and toordal in water for about 2 hrs.
- Remove the saal from the salty water, wash and soak in water for 1 hr to remove the excess salt.After an hour wash again twice with fresh water and squeeze out the water.Chop them roughly and keep aside.
- Grind the drained rice & dal along with coconut gratings ,tamarind, redchillies, hing and salt with little water to a not so fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Before taking out the masala from the mixer add the cleaned saala and grind further for 2 seconds.Check for salt.
Heat a dosa tava,take a fistful of the batter and spread it with moist hands on the tava. The dosa should not neither be very thick nor very thin.
Drizzle oil on side and cook on both the sides.
- Adding toordal is optional,if not adding- then would suggest to increase the quantity of coconut from 1/2 cup to 3/4th cup.
- Do remember to soak the saal separately in water,the purpose is to remove the excess salt content in the brined fruit segments.
- For making different variety sannapolos the batter remains the same,but the veggies are changed.
- Can be prepared with cabbage,brined bamboo shoots,onion,Sankegourd seed,drumstick leaves etc.
- In few recipe we include onions too.So would request to go through the recipe in this blog for each sannapolos.
One reply to “Salla Sannapolo”
Again great recipe, with unique idea.Thanks for sharing with us.tuvar dal onlinetoor dal online indiaTuwar Dal Online