Today I am sharing sannapolo which is prepared with brined jackfruit bulbs.In this blog refer here for the detailed steps to brine jackfruit. We have a lot of recipes using brined jackfruit , As they are seasonal fruits , proper brining helps to keep them unspoilt for nearly a year .
- Saala(brined jackfruit bulbs) -10-12 numbers
- Raw rice – 1/2 cup
- Toor dal – 1 fistful
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 8-10 (depending on the spice level required)
- Tamarind – small marble size
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Soak together raw rice and toordal in water for about 2 hrs.
- Remove the saal from the salty water, wash and soak in water for 1 hr to remove the excess salt.After an hour wash again twice with fresh water and squeeze out the water.Chop them roughly and keep aside.
- Grind the drained rice & dal along with coconut gratings ,tamarind, redchillies, hing and salt with little water to a not so fine paste in a mixer grinder.
- Before taking out the masala from the mixer add the cleaned saala and grind further for 2 seconds.Check for salt.
- Adding toordal is optional,if not adding- then would suggest to increase the quantity of coconut from 1/2 cup to 3/4th cup.
- Do remember to soak the saal separately in water,the purpose is to remove the excess salt content in the brined fruit segments.
- For making different variety sannapolos the batter remains the same,but the veggies are changed.
- Can be prepared with cabbage,brined bamboo shoots,onion,Sankegourd seed,drumstick leaves etc.
- In few recipe we include onions too.So would request to go through the recipe in this blog for each sannapolos.