Batato poha (potato, beaten rice) is a super quick recipe to make either for breakfast or as a evening snack.Especially when you are expecting guests,this is easy and delicious to whip up along with coffee or chai.
My friend Sandhya Puranik has already shared her version in this blog,where the potatoes are directly cooked in the seasoning.My version differs that the potatoes are shallow fried or can be precooked and added in the recipe.I am sharing the step by step picture below with the ingredients and method. Let us get into the recipe.I am adding 2 methods of the same recipe so I request all to go through the recipe till the end of the page.
- Thick variety poha (flattened rice) – 1 cup
- Potato – 1 Medium (chopped and soaked in water)
- Onion – 1 medium
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Jeera – 1 tsp
- Urad dal – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves -few
- Ginger – 1″ inch chopped
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Green chillies – 2-3 nos
- Turmeric powder – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Coriander leaves – few
- Lemon – 1 number
- Salt to taste
- Oil for frying
- Wash and soak the poha in water for just 5 minutes. Drain/squeeze the water out and keep aside.
- Chop potatoes into cubes and put in water to avoid colour change.
- Chop onion,green chillies and ginger.
- In a nonstick pan heat a tbsp of oil. Add the chopped potato cubes without adding any water. Sprinkle little salt and shallow fry until slight brown. Remove this and keep aside .
- To the same pan with the oil add little more oil if necessary, prepare seasoning with urad dal, jeera – once the dal changes colour, add mustard. Allow to splutter then continue adding hing curry leaves ,green chillies and ginger. Saute for 5 seconds.
- Now put the chopped onions and fried potatoes fry till the onions turn soft,
- Add grated coconut mix well,then add the main ingredient poha. Combine everything together until they get along well with the seasoning.
- Cover with a lid and cook for 2 minutes on low flame.
- Remove lid, squeeze lemon juice as per taste and garnish with coriander leaves.
- Serve hot with coffee/chai.
- Instead of the frying the potatoes in oil, Cook the potatoes for 3-4 whistle. When cool remove the skin and roughly crush with hands.
- Mix together the crushed potatoes, mix with salt, grated coconut, turmeric powder and coriander leaves well.
- Prepare seasoning as explained in the 1st method and follow until the onions are soft. Now add the potato coconut mixture and saute for a minute.
- Then add the poha and mix well until everything incorporated well. Squeeze lemon. Close lid and cook for 2 minutes.
- Serve hot with chai or coffee. Can be served with accompaniments like spicy mixture, any fritters sweets etc.
Notes: Can include veggies like carrot or green peas. When adding, saute them while frying the onions. In the above pic I have added fresh green peas.
One reply to “Batato Phovu (version 2)”
Very good post. Very informative. Thanks for the post. Keep blogging.Marachekku Oil In ChennaiCold Pressed Oil In ChennaiChekku Ennai In ChennaiGingelly Oil Price In ChennaiChekku oil in ChennaiCold pressed coconut oil Chennai Original coconut oil in Chennai Pure Coconut Oil In ChennaiCold Pressed Oil In BangaloreMarachekku Oil In BangaloreChekku Oil In BangaloreChekku Ennai In BangaloreCold Pressed Groundnut Oil BangaloreChekku OilMarachekku Oil