Ground nuts or peanuts are called poor man’s almonds as they are easily available and have plenty of health benefits too when eaten in whatever form – raw , roasted or boiled !.Groundnuts are a good source of protein and fibre along with healthful fats.They are a filling snack in roasted form for small hunger pangs or as the usli which am going to share today.A very simple recipe but very filling on fasting days or as an evening snack.Do use the fresh tender groundnuts for the authentic taste but during off season can use the regular groundnuts after soaking them.Hope everyone of you will try and enjoy this as much as I do.
- A cup of fresh groundnuts ..deskinned and pressure cooked
- Red chillies – 1 or 2
- Green Chillies too – 1 or 2 – slit
- Salt to taste
- Oil – 1 or 2 tbsp
- 2 to 3 tbsp of fresh grated coconut
- A tsp of mustard seeds
- A sprig of curry leaf
- A pinch of hing
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds..once they splutter add red chillies ,green chillies , curry leaves.and hing.
- Stir and add the boiled groundnuts and give a mix.
- Add salt and sprinkle some water so that everything comes together.
- Stir for a while and close the lid for 3-5 minutes.
- Just before switching off sprinkle freshly grated coconut and gently mix it
- Switch off after a minute or so and let it stand for at least 15 minutes with lid closed for the flavours to blend well
- Its ready to be served piping hot with a cup of tea or coffee
- Make sure to wash the groundnuts properly if using the fresh tender groundnuts as they have plenty of mud.
- Boiling it before hand saves time and the dish can be made quickly..pressure cook it for 2-3 whistles or until done.
- You can also use the fresh groundnuts without boiling it and cook it directly in the pan …add water as required and allow it to simmer until well cooked..but this may take some 20-30 minutes .
- If using the regular dried groundnuts soak it for at least 2-3 hours in lukewarm water or better still overnight.