Pickles are made in many varieties and are staple in every household.We already have many varieties of our amchi pickles.Here I have come up with a amla pickle,which I would like to share with you all.Normally pickles are made with red chillies or sometimes times for preparing instantly we use red chilli powder.But this pickle is made with green chilly.This is basically a North Canara version which I learnt from one of my relative.My friend sandhya has shared a similar type of recipe with raw mango in this blog.
- Amla – 250 gms
- Green chillies – 25 nos (adjust as per spiciness required)
- Mustard – 25 gms + 1 tbsp for seasoning
- Ginger – 1/2 inch
- Turmeric powder – 1 tsp
- Crystal salt – as per taste
- Fenugreek / methi seeds- 1 tsp
- Asafoetida/hing – a small pinch
- Til Oil -100ml
- Lemon juice – extracted from 1 small lemon
- Take a tbsp of oil and fry mustard methi and hing.Switch off and allow it to cool
- Wash amlas in fresh water,add 1 or 2 cups of water and boil well for 20 minutes or until a crack appears on it. Allow it to cool completely.Then discard the seeds and separate into segments.
- Wash and pat dry the chillies without any moisture
- Grind chillies with the roasted mustard,methi hing and also the salt to a smooth paste.
- Mix this paste with the amla segments thoroughly till each segment is coated with the paste. Also squeeze the lemon juice in it.
- Now prepare seasoning by heating 50 ml of the oil and splutter mustard.Switch off the gas and pour the remaining 50 ml oil into this seasoning itself which is hot.
- Pour this oil into the amla mix.Stir well and store in a clean dry glass bottles.
- Keep this in fridge and use after a week.
Note: After each use,dont forget to put the pickle back into the fridge as there are chances of getting spoiled.