There is already a Mangalorean version of gajbaje by our expert cook – Jayashri Shenoy akka here in our blog
Here is the kochi version – this type is made mostly in Kerala .and that too made especially on Janmashtami day!
- Taro leaves or Colcassia/arvi leaves – 10 very tender ones to be rolled & knotted -called as ghantis .
- Ventis ( taro leaves stem ) – 3 – 4 chopped
- Colcassia/ mande – 4 small or 1 large
- Chevli / alsande / string beans – 1/4 cup chopped
- Bimbul /birmikarmbal / dharan karmbal / starfruit -1/2 cup chopped – any souring agent
- Coconut grated – 1/2 cup
- Green Chillies – 5-6
- Hing – 1/2 tsp
- Coconut oil – 1 tbsp
- Salt to taste
- Clean & remove the veins of the leaves ..then roll them tightly between the palms & tie into a knot – Ghanti – you may also simply chop the leaves .
- Chop the Colcassia , ventis & chevli into small pieces .
- Put them all into a cooking pot along with slit green chillies & the souring agent .
- Add some water & the salt to cook the veggies.
- When they are well cooked add the grated coconut and mix well.
- Add the hing & pour the raw coconut oil on top & cover the dish
- Mix well just before serving!!
Enjoy this delicious dish with hot rice .