The procedure to prepare this phodi is similar to making of duddhi panna phodi and pathrade phodi.
Lets see the ingredients and the method step by step.
- Chitte Paan – 5-7 (to make a single roll) lollo is what we say for roll in konkani.
- Rice – 1 cup
- Urad dal – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 5-6 ( depends upon the spiciness you require)
- Hing – 1 tsp
- Tamarind juice – 2-3 tsp
- Rice flour to coat
- Salt as per taste
- Oil for deep frying
- Soak the rice for 2-3 hours in water.
- Dry roast uraddal till brown without burning it.when cool make fine powder of it.
- Grind the rice,red chillies,hing,tamarind and salt to a fine paste using minimum water,
- Add the powdered urad dal to this batter and mix very well.
- Pluck the leaves and wash them thoroughly,wipe it well.
- Remove the veins on the back side of the leaves,without tearing the leaves.
- On a clean kitchen platform or on a table place a big leaf with the back surface facing you and the tip of the leaf facing up.
- Apply the masala all over the leaf with your hands.
- Then place another leaf on the applied leaf in the left side and apply masala on it again.
- Then again follow the same in the right side.
Again place one more leaf on the centre and apply the masala evenly.Repeat the process with 5-7 leaves applying the masala as done before.See the picture below to get the idea.
Once the leaves are arranged one above the other now fold the side edges and again smear the masala on the folded area.
Rolling procedure is same like we follow for pathrado/pumpkin leaves phodi.Now keep this roll in freezer for 1/2 hr or 1 hr.
Now Heat oil in a kadai on medium flame.When the oil is hot enough to fry place 3-4 roundels each at a time and fry them evenly on both sides till brown and crisp.Transfer it on to a tissue paper to remove excess oil in it.
Chitte panna Phodi is ready to serve along with rice or can be eaten with tea/coffee as a eveng snack.
P.S. If you dont find time to soak rice we can use rice powder also.
If you prepare 3-4 rolls and kept in freezer it stays good for 2 weeks.
Similar phodi is made with Pathrade paan/madras alva paan also.the procedure is the same.