Phagils or teasel gourds also known as Kantola in Hindi, is a seasonal vegetable available during monsoon in different parts of India.It is a favourite during festivals to make Phodis/deep fries along with other delicacies for we Konkanis.There are other dishes too that can be prepared from phagil and today am sharing one such recipe called Kismuri.Kismuri is basically a salad like dish usually made with Bittergourds which is available throughout the year.,but can be prepared with other veggies too (see notes)
- 2-3 phagils/kantolas
- 1/2 cup grated coconut
- 1-2 green chillies OR 3-4 roasted red chillies (Here i have used green chillies)
- Peanut sized tamarind
- Salt to taste
- Tbsp or two of oil
- 1 medium sized onion chopped finely
3.Allow it to cool, meanwhile grind coconut, green chillies and tamarind coarsely without water, adding salt as per taste.
4. Add this coconut mix to the cooled and fried phagil along with chopped onion , salt if required and mix well with hands.
5. Delicious phagila kismuri is ready to be served with your meals
- Chopped phagils can be deep fried too but i prefer roasting them ,if deep fried remove on a paper napkin to remove excess oil and then proceed with the recipe.
- Roasted red chillies is often used for making kismuri but this time I used green chillies for a change…( refer karathe(bitter gourd) kismuri for red chillies version)
- Some prefer to drizzle coconut oil for green chilly version just before serving.
- Adjust the chillies as per the spice level.
- Kismuri can also be prepared with elephant yam(surnu), raw banana .
- This dish should be prepared fresh and consumed within few hours …though the leftover can be stored ,,,the taste is lost ,so prepare only as much is needed .
Here is a picture of the kismuri prepared using red chillies