Charmburo means puffed rice. Bhajjil charmburo is fried puffed rice with the flavour of garlic and chilli powder.This is a time pass snack loved by all.
It is very famous in Tamil Nadu as kara pori and in Mangalore/ Bangalore (karnataka) as huri akki/ mandakki/ charmburi etc. My family is a great fan of this bhajjil charmburo,especially the fried garlic in it. We can notice small vendors selling these spicy charmuris near parks,museum or during temple festivals like car festival and navarathri. Plain charmburos are available in shops these days in packets.
I feel this is a good snack for kids instead of eating the packed chips,biscuits and junk foods available in shops .I have already shared two more recipes, Charmbura usli Here and a spicy Chambura upkari/chutney recipe Here in this blog.
Trust me,try this out and it will be vanished in a jiffy. Here is the recipe.
- Puffed rice/Charmburo – 200 gms
- Garlic flakes – 1 big pod
- Peanuts – a fistful
- Roasted gram dal/Pottukadalai/huri kadle – a fistful
- Mustard – 1 tsp
- Curry leaves – a few
- Red chillies – 2 to 3 nos
- Turmeric powder – 2 tsp
- Hing – a pinch
- Salt – 1/4 tsp
- Oil – 1 or 2 tbsp
Slightly crush garlic and keep aside.Set the rest of the ingredients ready beside.
Heat a wide kadai with oil,add garlic and fry until they slightly change their colour.
Now add peanuts and fry both until the garlic turns light brown and the peanuts are crunchy.
Keep the flame in SIM flame and add roasted gram dhal,mustard,curry leaves,red chillies, hing,turmeric powder and salt one by one.
Switch off the gas.Keep sauteing so that the mustard splutters,curry leaves and the dal turns crisp.
Empty the charmburo packet fully and mix thoroughly so that all get evenly coated with the seasoning
Mix well for a minute or two. Do not worry if you do not get the colour,It will slowly absorb it in 5 minutes time.
Serve with Coffee/tea or as a time-pass snack watching TV or while chitchatting with your loved ones. Store this in a clean dry bottle with a tight lid.
I like to crush the roasted chillies to flakes before eating.I like to eat this with little finely chopped raw onions in every bite.
- Garlic adds a good flavour to this.
- Garlic should be fried very well until golden brown to give nice flavour. So fry well,at the same time see that it is not burnt.
- Before frying garlic please ensure that each and every clove is crushed otherwise there are chances to splutter, which may hurt the face or skin.
- Adjust all the ingredients as per required.
- Red chilli powder or sambar powder can also be added to enhance the spicyness if required.
- Peanuts and roasted gram dhal can be roasted separately and added together later after the garlics are fried.
- Charmburo always has salt so add very little in the seasoning.
- Charmburo turn soggy/uncrisp soon if exposed to air for a long time.So always store it in a clean dry bottle/dabba with a tight lid.