GSB s are very ingenious at making very tasty dishes even from items which are usually considered waste ! If a GSB gets a jack fruit only the thorns are discarded. each & every part is used to make a tasty dish . I have already given Goro thollolo & mhav Edigaii recipes . Now you have the rind with the white thin parts which covered the bulbs . you can make a very tasty side dish with this .Remember to grease your hands & knife with oil to easily remove the latex which oozes out while cutting a jack fruit.
In konkani we call the white part surrounding the bulbs as Boothal & the rind as Chari ..remove the thorns from the rind with a knife by slicing through it .as shown in the picture below .Remove the white & brown skins of the seeds .
- Chopped boothal , chari & seeds – 1 & 1/2 cups
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Red chillies – 4-5 as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Chop the boothal & chari into small pieces & the seeds into long pieces . Heat a kadai , add oil & splutter mustard seeds , add the chopped parts
- Add coarsely ground coconut , turmeric powder & red chili paste to this . Add salt to taste , . add just a little water . Cover & let cook
- Let it roast well (bhajjunnu).remove when done .
|Booth & Chari sukke|
Enjoy this with rice & Dalithoy .
3 replies to “Boothal & Chari sukke”