Daalithoy is the quintessential part of every Konkani ! Referred fondly to as Devasthanu daalithoy & kuladevu it is a must for any jevan no matter how many other side dishes there are ..a favorite of kids & elders alike .
- Tur dal – 1 cup
- Green chilies slit – 2 – 3 ( as per taste)
- Salt to taste
- Mustard – 1 tsp & few curry leaves for tempering
- Pressure cook tur dal with the green chillies .
- Add salt & water to required consistency .
- Add tempering of mustard & curry leaves .
You can also add a tempering with red chillies & also add hing .some also add ginger too . This fond dish has various tempering which varies from place to place .
Usually a thicker consistency with potatoes is needed when it is used as a side-dish for Rontas
( a famous konkani delicacy) and a thinner one when had with rice .
You can use moong dal in the same way to make moogadaali thoy
5 replies to “Daalithoy”