Gabbo / Banana stem is a good source of dietary fiber. Since it is high in fibre, it acts as a laxative and can ease constipation.Banana stem is rich in potassium and thus if regularly taken, it can cure stomach pains.
We GSB’s have so many varieties of tasty dishes with Gabbo ..check out recipes of Gabbya Upkari, Gabbya ghari, Gabbya Polthein. Here I am giving the recipe for Gabbya olle sukke – a gravy based dish to be had with rice . (here olle means wet since its gravy dish unlike the dry sukke )
- Tur dal – 1/2 cup
- Gabbo – 1/4 cup or more as desired – chopped into long thin finger like shapes
- Grated coconut – 1/2 cup
- Dharambya sol -a very small piece or 1 medium tomato
- Red chillies – 3 or as per taste
- Turmeric powder – 1/4 tsp
- Salt to taste
- Mustard seeds – 1tsp
- Urad dal – 1/2 tsp
- Methi seeds – 1/4 tsp
- Curry leaves – 1 sprig
- Oil – 1 tbsp
- Pressure cook the dal along with the tomato or sol .
- Cook the gabbo in a little water till soft .
- Grind the coconut & red chillis in a mixer to a smooth paste.
- Add the gabbo & the paste to the cooked dal .
- Add the haldi & salt & bring to a boil . then simmer for two more minutes . switch off flame
- Heat oil in a kadai , splutter mustard seeds . then add the urad dal & methi seeds & fry till they turn brown .
- Add the curry leaves & pour over the gravy
Serve hot with rice !!!!!!!!!
2 replies to “Gabbya Olle sukkein”